Well, actually it started with buying the yarn, but that action of mine isn’t photographed 🙂 When I saw the royal blue color of this lace yarn I knew immediately that I want a lace shawl with lilies. It’s a no name 33 wpi yarn with a color that I couldn’t resist. I had to give it a try.
Cast on last week and the shawl grew quite fast (I could’t put it down…). I wrote the pattern as I knitted; wrote up a section than knit it, wrote up the next and so on. This is how I usually do, and it works out most of the time. I do know what I want from the very beginning, I just prefer to do the math and work on the details as I go. Two days ago I got suspicious, it looked like the shawl is going to be larger than I expected. Measuring, calculating. Yup, it’s not good. Every reasonable person would have stopped knitting, but not me. I kept knitting and hoping for a miracle or I don’t know what. Now the denial is over, it’s evident that I have to rip back and throw out more than 20 rows from the pattern and redo the last 34 rows. Why did I kept knitting when I knew it was wrong??? Believe me, I’m wondering about that too.
At the moment the shawl looks like this:
It’s a half Pi knitted on 4 mm needles with the yarn held double. I decided to hold the yarn double because I want to have a good use of this shawl, plan to wear it with more or less casual outfits. In my opinion a lace shawl knit from cobweb type yarn is too delicate and elegant for everyday use. One of the lace motifs is a heavily modified version of something I found in a stitch dictionary, the rest is a result of my imagination ( except that I converted that widely known lily symbol into a lace pattern, I know it’s not an original idea – but again, I worked on it). I don’t know if I did a good job or not – blocking will tell – but I’m hoping and still not regretting being lazy to swatch. I know I might end up with learning a lesson instead of having a lace shawl, I just feel it’s worth the risk (not a big fan of swatching).