The autumn has arrived, the rainy days had started, melancholy is in the town. But isn’t everything so bad and sad, my classes are keeping me busy and in my free time I manage to do enough knitting to feel good about myself. I have finished my One cable mitts and even knitted an ear warmer / head band from the leftover.
I like the yarn and purchased two more skeins for socks, one more from the same purplish and one variegated green:
It’s already finished, but didn’t took photos yet. To use up all the yarn and to prevent running out of it knitted the socks toe up and simultaneously.
Also finished with swatching for the Cabled poncho
cast on and managed to knit circa 8 cm, that is 13 %, so there is hope to finish it in time to wear it this autumn. Photos later, when there will be more to see.
Finally made some stitch markers, just need to buy rings to put them on:
I have so many ideas, it’s so hard not to cast on for more projects.
While knitting my very first pair of socks surprise comes after surprise and I’m not always happy about it.
First the good things:
-I found out that knitting a sock is easy and addictive
-I have bought two 50 g skeins because somehow it made sense that 1 skein = 1 sock (probably because most of the sock yarn I read about sells in circa 100 g skeins). But it seemed that I will never reach the end of the yarn, so first I decided that I will make long socks to use up all the yarn and was happy about it because I like my socks to be long. As I was knitting I realized that for a long pair of socks I would use up 1.5 skeins and I wouldn’t know what to do with the leftover. That made me change my plans again and that’s how I ended up with a knee high sock (and still didn’t used up the entire skein!).
Than the bad things:
– There’s a few short undyed sections, but I can live with that so I didn’t cut them out.
– There’s color contamination.
– I wanted the second sock to be just like the first one, so I cut off a few meters of yarn at the beginning to start with the same color. It seemed that the yarn is somewhat thicker but I thought that’s not possible. As it turned out it is possible and even visible. Thankfully it still fits.
– The colors of the second skein are lighter than those of the first skein (it is the same yarn, same colorway).
– The stripes in the second skein are longer than those in the first skein.
I’m quite disappointed but I hope it’s just bad luck and I will give this yarn one more chance. Have I decided to knit both socks from the same skein this problem wouldn’t come up.