First I would like to share my joy with you; I won a contest!!! Last week I came across this awesome blog: http://figknits.blogspot.com/ and read about the Junebug Days: Fuchsia Week ( a contest one could enter with sending a pic of a handcrafted fuchsia colored object). Well as you know, I just happened to finish a cosmetic bag in that color, so I sent a photo of it. And I won!!! I’m so happy!
Last time I told you about my plans to sew some dresses and tops. Since then till now I made two maxi dresses (the second one still needs a few touches, but it’s in wearable condition).
For this one:
I have used a 150 x 150 cm piece of cotton jersey fabric. I like this fabric for summer maxi dresses because it’s very easy to maintain (no ironing required) and feels good next to the skin. It’s elasticity makes it a very comfortable wear for non-extreme outdoor activities. Although these aren’t my colors, I bought the fabric because I liked the print and knew it’s a good choice for a maxi dress. Besides, I think that one should never be afraid to try something new (if it’s not dangerous).
I made the pattern, and as soon as I have time, I’ll write it up and offer as a free download in the “free stuff” section of my blog.
In order to make the print more visible, hid the extra fabric in the back.
In the chest area I used a rubber thread to make the dress figure hugging. Since the fabric is elastic, didn’t wanted to bother with making the straps myself (it’s possible, but why to put in all that effort if not necessary?), so I used these brownish fake leather straps instead.
The other dress
is made from a peach colored embroidered fabric (just realized that’s not visible on the photo, next time I’ll take pictures that shows the embroidery at the bottom of the dress). I have used a 220 x 150 cm cotton fabric, a hidden zipper and a decorative ribbon to make this dress. It’s very wide and and light, nice to wear.
In other news, I’ll spend the first half of July in France to take language classes. I will be quite busy while there and most probably won’t be able to post anything. But I promise to write about my trip afterwards.
PS: The Bare Necessities is a free Ravelry download.
Filed under Knitting, Sewing
Not so much knitting went on here during the past week, luckily for me accessories are fast knits therefore I can share with you some FO picks. On the other hand, I did a lot of sewing. Since I was mostly customizing store-bought garments, that kind of doesn’t count (after all, I’m blogging about crafts and not about repairing).
What I have to show you today is a little collection called Bare Necessities:
It’s made from 3 items, the biggest (20.5 x 5.5 x 10 cm) is a bag meant to store my body butter, face cream, sunscreen and such things on my upcoming trip. It’s made from 100% cotton yarn (that I really enjoyed working with), on the inner side it’s covered with pure cotton fabric. I have used a set of 5 2.75mm dpns to knit it.
The smallest (11 x 8.5 cm) item is a wallet for coins, made from a cotton – rayon blend on 3 mm circulars with magic loop. The front is one wide cable of 48 sts, the back is plain stockinette. This is my first project with magic loop. I found it easy and will most certainly use it a lot in future projects. It seems to me, that I can knit faster with the magic loop than with dpns. My fear from having uneven stitches where the loop is made was completely irrational, in fact it’s even easier to maintain an even tension than when knitting with dpns. In the pick the wallet is still lacking the zipper due to my laziness (it’s so hot out there, I don’t feel like going to the store right now).
A few months ago I saw these knitted flowers: http://creatinglaura.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/little-knitted-flowers/ and I immediately knew that I want to knit them. The link will lead you to a lovely blog with lots of creative ideas and detailed, easy to follow tutorials written by a nice figure skater / knitter named Laura. Finally, I incorporated a bit modified version of those cute flowers into my newest design to get a 3D knitted cosmetic bag (12.5 x 2 x 8.5 cm). I started with 9 sts instead of 3, used dpns to knit it round instead of straight needles to knit flat, doubled the number of sts in every second row starting from R3 and bind off in R9.
In other news, I’m close to finish a maxi dress and have pulled out some fabrics from my stash:
I’m planning to sew two more dresses and two tops before I cast on for the next knitting project, we’ll see am I able to manage that.
Filed under Knitting, Sewing